Mel Collie | Is stress a positive thing?
Stress.. a warning sign to the mind thats something wrong in the data set. The mind looked inside itself and said..hey, whats going on..one of the filing cabinets is open and is not neat and tidy in here, its unorganised, its messy….whats happening?
Stress…the minds inability to be able to solve the situation..the minds constantly housekeeping, every second its checking the files..all the data, making sure its all in place, organised, and stress is where the mind says , this isn’t right, its not supposed to be like this.
You’ve hit a point, theres something you don’t agree with, its not that somethings actually WRONG, its just that you don’t agree with whats going on..
So, is stress a positive thing?
Is it an illusion..have we created the stress we know today, modern stress?
Well, your mind creates a state of feeling , you have a moan at yourself, because you don’t have anyone else to moan to.
We judge ourselves, often speaking to ourselves the way you would never allow a friend to speak to us.
We then internalise whatever it is we don’t agree with and it manifests as stress
The external stuff can be things like being stuck in a job you hate, not having the latest fashions, not having a new car, unable to afford to go abroad or buy new shoes or the latest laptop or newest mobile.
All these thoughts and processes bubble over in our minds.
We have an inability to recognise the data, our brains cant organise it, so we then get stressed..
We cant work it out
We haven’t got the answer
So we row with the self
Instead of…accepting it
When your body is thirsty you need water..it the bodies last attempt to get water, to get your attention to drink and hydrate.
Stress is mental thirst, bubbling over with information that your mind cant put it into a neat pile, it goes into hyperdrive in terms of intellectual responses, so you over think and over analyse. as the brain throws information at every situation, it cant put it into boxes, making it neat and tidy, organised. Our 10,000 year old ancestors reacted instinctively to the growing stimulus and fought or ran from the tiger/lion/melting volcano.
Now we have invented issues we call stress – the mobile fell down the loo, cant find the car keys, cant get a six pack, the person in the office has a belly is flatter than yours, the office isn’t tidy, the trousers aren’t ironed properly…etc etc…
If you react often to situations like these they can be an indicator to where the real problems are in your life.
They are all invented problems that aren’t a threat to our survival, like the caveman running from the tiger.
So, maybe we have to just accept thats what happening, realise it ..an accept it..
So, how can we begin to quieten the mind and release some of the stress we feel?
Ways to de stress
- Quiet time is so important, especially with the constant noise from social media. Quiet time helps our mind to strip back the information that is not necessary.
- Breathing slow and deep – 10 times – repeat 4 times a day.
- Go for a walk on the beach/woodland/mountains/park
- Have a bath – no one is allowed to disturb you
- Read a book that stimulates your mind away from the glossing over stuff like how the latest celeb lost a zillion stone and how their wash board stomach makes them happy ..
- Challenge yourself – do something that scares you…go climbing (believe me..that will really get you going..), go scrambling, go for a run, book yourself into something you have to work towards like a marathon, learn something new, spend a night out wild camping and look at the stars ..
- Spend less time on social media and more time meditating, which doesn’t mean you war orange robes and sit for hours at a time, it can be as simple as just a minute a day, doing something that grabs your curiosity – like playing the guitar for example..
However, ultimately, to accept it, realise that you have situations that are stressful to you, and ask why, notice the knock on effects, how you can change your beliefs.